Guest Welcome guest!

UNBOUND

Here on Unbound, our plot follows four different timelines, set throughout the canonical history of the Dragon Age. The events following Trespasser, the time of the Inquisition, the rise of the Champion of Kirkwall and the quest of the Warden against the Fifth Blight.

And So is the Golden City blackened
With each step you take in my Hall.
Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven
And doom upon all the world.

-Threnodies 8.13

New Poll

ROAD TO PERDITION, Anders & Garrett | Anders' Clinic
as played by sugar

58" posts

group

Mage
1 Kingsway 9:37

Anders had been grating on him. More than usual, as of late. True enough, the mage always managed to cause some sort of problem with the natural flow of things, but this time, he could tell that it was going to be worse than before. The message he got from him seemed urgent, panicked—the handwriting much more sweeping and difficult to read than usual. There was nothing calm left about the mage, and Garrett could only wonder if something had gone horribly wrong with Anders’ plans to separate himself from Justice.

Wanting it to go well—wanting the mage to be able to find some sense of self again instead of being constricted, choked, by a demon merged with him, was the only reason he’d rushed into Darktown at Anders’ request. The area was foul, the stench of death heavy under his nose. It was nearing dusk, and there were a few more rats about than usual—as well as beggars in tattered clothes, some looking sick, others—simply deprived. Garrett’s lip curled in disgust as he marched past, side-stepping dirty hands that reached for the leather fauld around his waist that cut off at about mid-thigh on both his front and back. The armor he’d been able to get custom-made with the slaying of the High Dragon in the Bone Pit—nobody would be touching those.

To see these people, pitiful and sick, sitting on the streets instead of working for their place like he had—it made him physically ill. Darktown was the bane of his existence. Seven years in Kirkwall and all of his time helping people still festered those who didn’t even want to help themselves.

”Please, Serrah,” one of the women spoke, cradling a bawling swathe as she spoke, likely having recognized him. Garrett couldn’t go anywhere these days without being recognized. ”Arishok slayer! I’m going to raise my son to be like you…”

Garrett paused, turning to stare down at her with cold eyes. He smiled at the woman, but it was hardly pleasant. ”Let’s hope he’s a mage, then, so he’ll be carted off to the Circle and he won’t have to live in this decrepit piece of Hell.” He raised his voice a bit, frustrated now. ”Perhaps I should have let the Arishok live so you’d all stay off the street.” He turned away, armor and boots clanking with each step as he walked in longer strides to Anders’ clinic.

Effectively ruffled by his trip descending in class order, starting from Hightown all the way to the end of the line, he pushed the door open a bit harder than intended, and it slammed against the back wall. He didn’t see Anders, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t around, after all, he did live there as well.

”Anders!” Garrett called, his voice ringing with annoyance through the clinic. A small, needy noise and a body curled around one of his boots. Not even five seconds in here and the cats had already started to infiltrate him. They, too, just wanted to leech off of him. ”Whine at your father, I didn’t think it prudent to bring along raw meat. This place reeks enough as it is.” Garrett told the cat flatly. It looked up at him with round, yellow eyes and meowed again.

He growled at it, and the cat purred in response. ”Bloody Maker.”

Aug 3 2017, 06:04 PM
as played by Angel

28" posts

group

Mage
Fingers wrapped tightly around his hand, as if strength alone could keep it from shaking, but it wouldn't stop. Nerves along with a constant battle inside his head kept him on edge. This...thing he had become was not what he wanted. The decisions he had made and the decision he still struggled with now left a bad taste in his mouth that he couldn't get rid of.

Anders had never been a liar, not to those he cared about at least, and now the lies spilled like honey from his lips. He even lied to himself, convincing himself that everything he did had a purpose. The lies he told were for their own good. They'd understand in the end. An end that was far too close to his liking, like a dark cloud of doom over his shoulders that he hated but knew he had no choice.
There was no choice.

No compromise.

His name rang out through the clinic, jarring him from his thoughts. The snarled, angry tone had a flash of blue settling in Anders' eyes before it faded away once recognition was achieved. Hawke Thank the Maker. Anders pushed away from the wall which he sat against, pausing only briefly to pull a cloth over the exposed edges of a box.

"Hawke," Anders spoke once he'd exited the dark and closed off section of his clinic. The mage was even more haggard looking than normal and he didn't bother trying to hide it. He didn't meet Garrett's eyes as he stooped to pick up the kitten that found it's new resting place against the other man's boot. Anders cuddled the kitten against his cheek, dirty fingernails gently scratching beneath it's chin in an absentminded way.

"You've been a good friend." At first it was hard to tell if he was speaking to the kitten or to Hawke, until Anders flicked hid gaze towards the other mage finally. A tired smile curved his lips, and he bent to put the kitten down on a cot before turning his attention fully to Garrett. "You stood by me, even when I didn't deserve it."

Even when they fought. Their views didn't always match up, but Garrett was a good person. A good mage. Anders found over the years that he adored Hawke. More than he should. He adored the steadfast, stubborn man that followed what he wanted and didn't let anyone tell him differently. Maybe it was more than adoration, but he wouldn't allow himself to think about that. It was more pain, more betrayal.

"I want to thank you for that."

GARRETT HAWKE
Sep 6 2017, 07:54 PM
as played by sugar

58" posts

group

Mage

When Anders arrived, Garrett’s disdain had reached an all time high and he couldn’t stop his lip from curling. Thankfully, he got the small furball off of his leg and had taken it for himself—treating it like it was some kind of… infant, or something. He’d never seen anyone interact with an animal that way before and it was honestly bizarre. But he supposed if one pushed away all of their human contacts, they’d have no choice but to try and seek out similar relationships from animals instead. Animals were much less judgmental than people, after all, and likely far more tolerant of the incessant ramblings about justice and freedom and whatever else Anders decided to go off about on any given day.

Whatever he was talking about now? Bullshit. He’d gone soft and wasn’t thinking clearly, for certain, because whatever man Anders was talking about definitely wasn’t Garrett. He didn’t like the seeming dependency that Anders had on him, either—it made him uncomfortable in ways that he couldn’t describe, and he wondered if coming here in the first place had been a mistake. Garrett shifted from foot to foot and scowled. ”I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He was short, frank. To the point. There was no room for whatever Anders was insinuating here and if he had to shut it down further, he would. It would only take three steps to move back to the door from which he came, slam it, and never return.

”Your choices are your own, and you know how I feel about most of them. You can’t change my mind, Anders.” A subject change was necessary and he folded his arms, stepping further inside of the clinic. Eyes darted around the tables and the neatly stacked vials of… what he assumed was different types of medicinal remedies in the open cabinets. The floor was not as forgiving—it looked as though it could use a good scrubbing. Blood and grime and… who knew what else laid under the layers of dirty straw.

”You look like Hell,” Garrett observed plainly. Surely, that wasn’t’ the reason Anders had summoned him here. His eyes fell to the cat in Anders’ arms and for some reason, it caused his agitation to spike. ”You didn’t ask me to bring anything to cook, so why is it that you’ve asked me to drop by?” Garrett moved further inside of the clinic, looking for something, anything that would pass as alcoholic to better stand the smell and… everything about this place. He shuffled through some bottles to find one the color of what he would imagine most mead to look like. It was probably for medicinal purposes, but he paid no attention to that and popped the cap off, raising the bottle to his lips and taking a deep swig of it. A heavy cough followed, his body attempting to reject what had already went down. ”Maker, what did you do to this stuff?”

Sep 9 2017, 05:38 PM
as played by Angel

28" posts

group

Mage
The harsh way that Garrett spoke to him caused him to bristle slightly, but Anders bit his tongue before he could snap at the other mage. He needed his help, and pissing Hawke off wouldn't help gain his approval. Watching Garrett move through the clinic, Anders released a breath, turning away briefly. He ran a hand through his hair, combing fingers through knots. He was quite aware that he wasn't looking quite his best, hearing Garrett bring attention to it, however, made him more conscious about it.

"Would you have if I'd asked?" Anders spoke, a hint of humor in his voice. It showed in his face as well when he turned to look at Garrett, eyebrow arched. The humor quickly drained from his face, replaced with a seriousness that he often wore nowadays. His lips parted in a warning but the words never left his lips as Hawke took a swig of the bottle he was holding. A sigh left his lips, and he shook his head, moving forward to snatch the bottle from his hand.

"It has a numbing agent mixed in. I use it for disinfecting, not drinking. Fortunately for you, you didn't drink enough to cause problems although your tongue may go numb for a while." Which would serve you right. Anders didn't add the last part out loud, placing the bottle back on the shelf. His fingers lingered on the bottle, and he let out a breath. This was starting out so well. Anders turned around to face Garrett, leaning back against the table behind him. He braced his palms against the surface, studying the other man for a moment.

"I need your help. I..." Anders hesitated, glancing towards a stack of books. "I've been studying some ancient tevinter tomes and...I think I may have found a way to separate Justice and myself."

The lie filled his mouth with a bitter taste, and he swallowed hard. Anders pushed away from the table, moving towards the stack of books. His hands trembled slightly as he flipped through them, not really searching for anything but just using it as an excuse to have his hands be doing something. Clearing his throat, Anders continued. "I...can't keep lying to myself any longer...and if there is anything I can do to fix this, then I need to do it. But it involves collecting some hard to find items, which is why I need you..."

He was rambling now, damn it.

Sep 13 2017, 04:29 PM
as played by sugar

58" posts

group

Mage

Garrett stopped paying attention about the time that Anders told him there was some freaky-deaky within what he had just drank. His eyes narrowed at Anders’ explanation for the liquid, and he smacked his lips as if that would have something to do with lessening the symptoms. It wouldn’t. The mage should have stopped him well before he did anything to hurt himself—but he didn’t blame Anders, for the moment. Perhaps he should have, but he just And have the energy. The slight swelling that would occur from what he had drank would be his own fault. So long as when he tried to speak, it wouldn’t be some kind of horrific mess, he wouldn’t mind. Not too much. He was silent as he listened to Anders speak about what he needed done. Any sort of altercation to bring Justice to an end would be fine with him. It was a bit astounding that there was a cure for the mage to begin with—he’d never expected a conversation like this to occur. Anders admitting fault for his own psychological problems, and then becoming someone else after that. Not so obsessed with the intent on what he and Justice had merged together for. At the same time, he did seem to know that his relationship with Justice was something rather unheard of.

For a moment, he thought about speaking out against Tevinter. Anders using the oldest mage civilization to gain his information about splitting from Justice didn’t seem right. But what did he have to say about it? Garrett was still pissed about the liquid he’d drank , but there was nothing he could do about it now. Garrett didn’t need to stop to think about why his presence was so urgent. He could take out nearly anything in his path; surely, Anders had picked up on that in their time spent together.

A slight nod brought his attention back to what Anders had asked about. There was no reason to refuse what he wanted; it just wouldn’t make sense. Anders going out on his own just seemed… silly. So Garrett sighed, collected his breath, and answered his fucking question.
”Of course I’ll help you. Just lead the way and I’m there.” Garrett had started to feel the slightest twinge upon his tongue after talking; likely, it was that blasted cursed not-alcohol he’d taken from Anders’ stores. There was nothing he could do to change the present situation, but Garrett could only hope that Anders would be as eager to take out a present threat as everyone else had been.

Sep 21 2017, 09:23 PM
as played by Angel

28" posts

group

Mage
Anders turned sharply to look at Garrett as he agreed to help. For a moment guilt threatened to overwhelm the mage, loosening his jaw in an attempt to spill all of the truth on his friend that agreed to help without hesitation. He turned back around, hiding the lack of relief in his gaze by once again looking through the stack of books. This time is was for a purpose.

"Thank you, Hawke," Anders turned to face Garrett again, holding a book in his arm as he flipped through the pages. His fingers were once again shaking, and he shook his head, clearing his throat as he found what he was looking for. He was careful to shield the book from Garrett's view. "I have most of the ingredients, I'm just missing two. Sela Petrae and drakestone."

A breath left his lips and he closed the book, tossing it onto a table as he passed. Anders stood in front of Garrett, shifting slightly as he glanced behind the other mage. "I would prefer...that this stayed between us. If this doesn't work..."

Anders trailed off, letting silence settle between them as he looked away from the other mage. He cleared his throat again, softly, as he stepped closer to Garrett, closing the distance between the two of them. His voice was soft and low as he spoke again. "You're the...only one I trust with this."
Dec 5 2017, 04:04 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Fast Reply
New Poll