Guest Welcome guest!

UNBOUND

Here on Unbound, our plot follows four different timelines, set throughout the canonical history of the Dragon Age. The events following Trespasser, the time of the Inquisition, the rise of the Champion of Kirkwall and the quest of the Warden against the Fifth Blight.

And So is the Golden City blackened
With each step you take in my Hall.
Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven
And doom upon all the world.

-Threnodies 8.13

New Poll

Fiesty, Aellai | Angel | 9:38 Dragon
as played by SQUEE

6" posts

group

Warrior

Drakonis, 9:38 Dragon

“Quit gnawin’ on the reigns, ye temperamental beast,” Malcolm chastised the gray stallion as it tossed its head around, snapping teeth on the loose leather reigns. “I ken you're bored of walkin’ this same bland road, same as me, but we canna go anywhere but forward, ye ken?”

The horse either did not know or did not seem to care. It yanked on the reigns and stamped impatiently in one spot on the beaten road, much like a toddler throwing a fit. Malcolm made a throaty sound of frustration as the stallion made to lurch forward. He pulled hard on the reigns, winning them back fully. “I promise ye. I’ll tell the quartermaster to geld ye and then there’s no more pretty lassies. Like the one behind us.”

The horse blew air at this point and settled. Malcolm sighed, relieved but wary of the horse’s tricks. He’d been putting up with them for a week now, mostly because the horse (a demon more like) had taken a strange likening to Mal. As such, the quartermaster had set him up for this adventure to the villages nearby, which were in need of a healer. Some horrible, contagious sickness had spread through the nearest trading port, infecting much of the area. Malcolm was content never seeing another vomit filled bucket or snot soaked handkerchief for the rest of his life. And there were two more stops yet.

They looked almost like average travelers. Malcolm never wore the Templar plate, but a combination of hard and soft leathers with Templar symbols branded on the backs of his gloves. He was clearly armed, however, with a longbow on the horse’s left shoulder, a sword on his right, and a quiver of newly fletched arrows bumping against his knee. He’d specifically asked Aellai to appear less mage-like and go for practical. There was no hiding her staff, but he hoped it wasn’t noticeable as magical until much closer. Recent rumors trickling in other countries about dissent in the Circles had heightened his caution, and it was his duty to protect Aellai from those who might wish her harm.

The horse went for the reigns again. After breathing a few more threats, Malcolm won control again and he twisted in his seat to address Aellai who rode just behind his shoulder. She had to, because his stallion would try and bite her mare on the rear. Bear, who knew better to stay away from the demon horse, trotted beside Aellai’s much calmer chestnut mare with her tongue hanging out. The burly, multi-shaded mutt seemed to like the tiny elvhen mage fine. “I’m tired of this horse’s nonsense. Ye feel like camp soon?”

There was perhaps another three or four hours of sunlight left in the day. They were in between stops, and Malcolm knew they wouldn’t reach the next village before nightfall. So far, they’d been lucky (or not so lucky, Malcolm rather thought) to have shelter in a plague-filled village each night since leaving the circle. Camp would have to be set up, and he’d packed a tent for the small mage, which took time to set up. Malcolm wasn’t sure if she knew how.

The horse moved suddenly under him and Malcolm snapped back around. The demon horse had clamped it’s teeth upon a large bush growing too close to the road and was yanking on it. “Ye canna be serious! Ride ahead!” he ushered Aellai forward. After wrestling on the reigns, he managed to turn the horse back onto the road and get it to trot forward. “No ye don’t!” Mal commanded, as the stallion tried to nip the mare. A harsh correction saved the mare’s rump.

With another harsh frustrated noise, he glanced at the mage. “Ye ken how to hunt?”

Dec 26 2017, 10:36 PM
as played by ANGEL

15" posts

group

Mage
This was not her first trip outside of the circle, but it was by far the most entertaining yet. Aellai was happy that it was Malcolm that accompanied her a not one of the more surly of the Templars. They hadn't spoken much since his transfer to Kinloch Hold, but then again she didn't speak to many nowadays. Malcolm seemed content with that, and so they'd gotten along as much as a mage and her ward could. Either way, she didn't feel like she was in danger around him, in fact she actually felt quite safe. Though whether that was specifically because of the templar or the beast walking beside her was hard to tell.

Aellai had to choke back a chuckle as she watched Malcolm fight with the horse that he was on. Better he than her. The mare that she sat upon was very docile which was good considering she didn't have much experience with the giant herd beats--outside of the books she'd read. She could count the number of times she'd been on a horse on one hand. It wasn't as if the Circle had a stable she could just go hang out in. That would have made things a little more enjoyable. Besides the mouser--which was no longer around--Bear was the only animal she had access to on a regular basis.

The elf's ears twitched as Malcolm address her, and she was sure her face expressed her displeasure at having to camp. It wasn't exactly her ideal scenario, but sometimes one had to make compromises. Before she could answer him, however, the human was whirling back around to deal with the rambunctious stallion once more. Aellai didn't hold back her laughter this time, gently kicking the mare forward at Malcolm's orders.

"You bite my mare one more time and I'll shock you," she muttered to the stallion, narrowing her amber eyes at the beast in question. It would just be a little shock, nothing that would actually harm the horse, but maybe it would get her point across. Aellai turned her eyes towards Malcolm as he addressed her, and she gave him a look that expressed her doubt in his intelligence.

"Oh yes, the Circle teaches us all about hunting. Didn't you know? Nevermind the fact that I've been in the Circle since I was eight."
Dec 27 2017, 04:37 PM
as played by SQUEE

6" posts

group

Warrior
“Bit of a shock might do him some good. Scare the devil right out of him,” Mal agreed, although he patted the stallion’s gray neck. “Bit more concerned with her givin’ him the eye.”

Aellai’s mare, although well-behaved, was without a doubt utterly tired of the stallion’s shenanigans as well. She’d withstood quite a lot of bellyache from Demon Horse with the patience of the Maker waiting for his Bride.

Her withering stare made his face flush in embarrassment, reminding him of the way his mother looked at him when he’d done something dumb as a child. Malcolm made a distinct noise in the back of his throat as he adjusted in his saddle.

“I thought to ask ye so as to not insult your abilities. Not the other way ’round,” he responded defensively. He’d been around mages with a plethora of other experiences or skills, including smithing, hunting, and engineering. Malcolm didn't say so, however.

A bit sour due to her scolding, Malcolm pursed his lips and then gestured ahead. “We’ll make it up there and some past the fork. In that grove.” He pulled ahead after that, not liking the way the stallion was eyeing Aellai’s leg.

He pulled off the road twenty minutes and two more horse tantrums later. After tying the reigns short to a fallen tree and instructing Aellai to tie hers a respectable distance from the stallion, Malcolm unloaded Demon Horse quickly before shifting to help his charge with her belongings. Once saddles were pulled, horses hobbled, Malcolm let them both go to graze while instructing Bear to watch them. The dog sat contentedly amid their shuffling, occasionally underfoot, and looked expectantly for pets between him and Aellai.

Mal set up her tent in a handful of minutes and stood after smashing the last stake into place. “There. I suppose a wee thing who’s been in the Circle since she was eight, and nigh no bigger, wouldna care to sleep in the naked air.”

He tossed his hammer onto his canvas bag and stretched with a loud groan. Settling his hands in his hips, Mal walked along the treeline and gazed between the trees in idle curiosity while giving his cramped legs a stretch.

“Do ye want to learn to hunt?” he offered as he picked up one of her bundles. The contents rattled under their covering as he hoisted them, so he used both hands. “Or stay with all your accoutrements and magic baubles and smelly herb bottles. And Bear.”

The dog swiveled her shovel-like head toward him as he said her name, tail wagging.

Dec 27 2017, 07:16 PM
as played by ANGEL

15" posts

group

Mage
Alright, perhaps she had been a bit harsh when answering his question. After all, it wasn't as if he knew her life before the circle, not many did, and if one knew anything about the dalish the markings upon her cheeks were sure to send mixed signals. It was odd for a circle mage to have the vallasalin of the Dalish, and she received many of looks of judgment from people inside and outside the circle.

Once they made camp, Aellai was happier than she let on. Her thighs had begun to cramp with the constant riding and being able to stretch them out would feel wonderful. Malcolm had to help her down from the mares back--much to her displeasure--but it couldn't be helped. Once on the ground, Aellai winced slightly, stretching as she watched Malcolm began to set up camp. Part of her did feel a little bad for her comment earlier, or more accurately the tone she had used. That was until he spoke up after driving the last stake into the ground. Her eyes narrowed on him, and she held her hands up. They were gloveless, despite the coldness of the air around and after a few moments, frost began to coat her fingers, the air buzzing with magic.

"The cold doesn't bother me." She snapped defensively. The magic died away almost immediately, leaving her skin wet as the frost melted on her skin. Aellai wiped her hands against her cloak, stepping closer to the small tent he'd put up for her. "But the privacy would be welcomed." She added as an afterthought in case he decided that she didn't want the tent.

Aellai took one of her books out of her bag, moving over to sit down near her tent. After all, it wasn't time for sleeping so she probably wouldn't be allowed inside the tent. This would have to do. Her fingers paused as she turned the page she was on, her eyes looking up at Malcolm when he asked her if she wanted to learn how to hunt. Was that...possible? She frowned, lowering the book in her lap.

"Are you allowed to do that?" Aellai paused. "Teach me I mean..."

She didn't know if she wanted to learn to hunt. What good would it do? After this trip she'd be locked back up into the circle where her meals were made for her, and even if she was allowed out on another trip she wouldn't be alone and therefore most likely have her meals made for her. On the other hand....learning to hunt should have been a right of passage for her. Being of dalish blood, she should have already of known how to do it. Being taught now might at least bring her a little closer to her heritage.

"Are you sure you want the headache of trying to teach me?"

Jan 16 2018, 06:06 AM
as played by SQUEE

6" posts

group

Warrior

“Oh, aye?” he commented sardonically. “Maybe the cold dinna bother ye, so how about the wee bugs creepin’ and chirpin’?” He couldn’t help digging at her as her comments grated on him like a sanding file. Why was it like this with the woman?

She settled down with just after as he settled things around. He was in the middle of moving one of her glass-rattling bundles when he offered to teach her hunting. Aellai looked at him with surprise, and Malcolm smiled to himself.

“As far as I remember,” he began answering, “No where in my oath was there ‘And I swear to never teach teeny elf mages how to hunt or be self sufficient in the wild ever’.” Malcolm gently put her bundle beside the tent entrance.

He straightened, standing over her, and scratched the tip of his nose. “Canna say I want a headache, no.” Shrugging, more with his arms than his shoulders, Malcolm went back to the saddlebags. His bow lay covered in a soft, well-worn sheath. Unwinding the leather cord from the button, he lifted the flap and removed the unstrung bow. He turned it over in his hands, looking for damage. “It really is up to ye. I find it odder that ye canna hunt, since ye do have vallaslin.” Malcolm spoke the elvish word precisely and without stumble. “Canna say I ken all the Dalish customs, yet I ken the hunter’s right of passage. I ken ye are a mage and maybe there’s something different for elf mages…” He trailed off, realizing he was talking himself into a hole. His deep blue eyes shifted from her to the bow in his hands, which he pretended to inspect more closely.

Clearing his throat, he spoke again. “I would just show ye animal signs if I find them. How to talk. How to look. Where to put traps and where to wait. Afraid ye wouldna be able to pull my bow.” Malcolm offered her a smile. “The wood, height, and tension is made for me, and so I’m a bit taller than ye.”

Walking to Bear, who panted up at him with bright brown eyes, Malcolm fondly patted her broad head. “Bear can watch the camp.” Malcolm knew he was trying to convince Aellai to do it at this point. He knew it meant more of her smart mouth, but he did genuinely believe it was odd the mages didn’t have more survival skills than using magic. What was the worst that could happen? Now she knew how to use a bow and a staff? She ratted him out and he got yelled at by the commander? How much more harm could she cause with a bow than magic?

Malcolm met her eyes, waiting expectantly.
Feb 14 2018, 01:18 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll