Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

a dragon age roleplay
WELCOME TO UNBOUND

Four years strong, we are a literate to advanced Dragon Age roleplay that focuses on the events post-Trespasser, while also following the timelines of the Warden, Champion and Inquisitor.

Please register your account in ALL CAPS (Ex: HONOR TREVELYAN)

Played by Holly
staff
♕   andraste
♕   cherith
♕   cat
♕   dinah
♕   crim

Add Reply
New Poll

crossing borders, cherith | honor 18 august 9:44
played by dinah
pst    mature content? Yes    Offline
           
GRogue
A31
AThe Black Shadow
P10 posts

permalinkQuote
Hunter Fell was a lovely city, but a bit too much like Orzammar if you asked her. Nevarrans had a great propensity for crafting statues of their kings and heroes, much like the dwarves and their paragons. The glories of the past exalted and held up as a reminder for the living to strive for more, more, more and used as a tool to shame when they inevitably failed. Back home, there was no escaping the eyes of the paragons when they were carved into every pillar, table, tankard and bedpost and there seemed to be little escaping it on the surface as well. Humans had the same irritating habit of venerating their honored dead, but at least here the judgement of these stone eyes meant nothing to her.

And she hadn't seen Andraste's face carved into a piss-pot, so perhaps humans were quite as bad.

Putting the city and thoughts of paragon piss-pots behind her, Yarden followed the northern road into the farmland the hugged the border between Nevarra and the Tevinter Imperium. A mile, two, five and eventually she reached the stone that marked a trail, once tread down by Inquisition soldiers during the war, but now over-grown and so easily unnoticed. Her foot-falls disturbed little as she followed it another mile to the small hunter's cabin that had served as her base for the past six weeks.

The assignment was her first of real substance since joining Honor Trevelyan's little organization. Her mission: investigate the rumors of lingering Venatori activity along the Tevinter border. Leliana had given her the old briefings from her scouts in the area during the peak of conflict between the cult and the Inquisition, which had proved invaluable in the first couple weeks of her investigation. Even with the defeat of their leader, Calpurnia, and the Elder One, the ideology of Venatori was not so easily erased and with agents skilled and stealthy enough to infiltrate the highest ranks within the courts of Orlais, Fereldan, Nevarra and the Free Marches, not so easily to snuff out.

It had taken time, patience and perhaps a little bribery and intimidation, but she had managed to secure a slim lead, which in turn lead her to a promising one, until she had the good fortune of encountering an affable young merchant, who enjoyed the company of coy dwarven women just as much as he apparently enjoyed the benefits of providing slaves as blood sacrifices for a small sect of Venatori fanatics.

She wouldn't allow it to continue and sent word south as soon as she could confirm her intel. With luck, Honor would send her some back up before the Venatori realized they were being watched and went to ground again.

Unless they had found her first.

Grey eyes narrowed as Yarden drew close enough to notice the door to the cabin slightly ajar. Certainly not how she had left it this morning. Slowly, the dagger at her hip was pulled from its sheath and she walked with quiet, even steps to the threshold. One push left the door swinging the rest of the way open and, before she could plunge into what she was sure was a very sloppy Venatori ambush, she recognized the dark haired woman sitting at her table.

It wasn't exactly a laugh she gave at seeing the former Inquisitor in her hideout, but the murder had been taken from her eyes. "Color me impressed, Your Worship. There were twenty-seven traps out there and you dodged them all." Yarden dropped her pack down by the door and sheathed the dagger once the door had been nudged shut behind her. "I'll have to try harder next time."
played by cherith
CST    mature content? Yes    Offline
           
GRogue
A34
Aherald of andraste
P113 posts

permalinkQuote
The number of people Honor could trust had been whittled away to a fraction of what it had once been. She'd shut out some of her closest friends in favor of a handful of people that she could be absolutely certain couldn't be corrupted by those who betrayed her. It amused her somewhat that she'd gone from a large fortress full of elves and humans to a small group of lovely female dwarves who had scattered across Thedas to seek out whatever trouble they could. Yarden's cozy little shack in the middle of Hunter Fell wasn't exactly fine accommodations, but for the first time in a number of weeks Honor thought she might get a few moments peace.

Of course she'd chosen people who could look after themselves, who knew how to watch for signs of trouble and could find ways to disappear if and when the need was called for. Getting to Yarden's hideout was proof her trust was place correctly in the woman. Honor's finely honed paranoia was tested just getting to the building and further, getting inside. She'd become a woman of inimitable patience in the last year, travelling as she did and waiting for the barest hints of progress. Otherwise, she would've been dead several times just in the time it'd taken her to get inside while Yarden was out.

She smiled but where once she might've been happily smug with her achievement, now she was merely tired and glad to see someone she trusted. Things had come so far.

"You put me through my paces, I'll admit," Honor said. "It was a good thing you took your time getting back, otherwise, I'd still be out there and you'd be able to get a nice laugh watching me sneak in."

Honor didn't bother to stand, too tired for etiquette. They weren't out here in the middle of nowhere Nevarra to play nice. She leaned back in the chair she'd claimed and shook out her braid, rubbing her fingers against the ache where her hair had been pulled tight. "Also, enough with the Your Worship. Doesn't mean much anymore. It's Adrien… for the time being." She gave an exaggerated curtsey from her chair and shrugged as she sat back up. "Your humble servant."

The old honorific felt worn out and it made the skin prickle down her spine, as if somewhere in the wilds of Orlais, pointy elven ears could still hear it spoken. She didn't want anything to do with it anymore. Even after she put the old god in the ground once more. With her hooked hand, she tapped the table and smiled again.

"So, obviously we got your message. I was already pretty close by and it seemed like you have a promising lead. Thought I could use a little change of pace anyway. Plus, it's nice to see you again."
played by dinah
           
GRogue
A31
AThe Black Shadow
P10 posts

permalinkQuote
To a degree, Yarden could empathize with Honor’s distaste for the title that had been heaped upon her shoulders; the weight of it less a liberation and more a shackle. In Orzammar the Aeducan name opened every door she could possibly imagine, but so too did it come with responsibilities, and— worst of all— expectations. As the Herald of Andraste and leader of the Inquisition, it must have been threefold and Yarden wasn’t so cruel as to needle her with reminders of old burdens, when fresh ones stretched before them both.

Instead, she played along and circled the table to the hutch against the far wall where she fetched two wooden ups and a squat decanter of Antivan whiskey. ”Well, I certainly won’t object to having a servant, humble or otherwise. If there is one thing I miss about Orzammar it would be having a pretty woman at my beck and call. Here,” Splashing some of the whiskey into the cup and setting it before not-Honor, Yarden reached under the table and drew out the rolled map that rested concealed underneath. ”I’ll share with you what I know, while you sip on that. You’ve earned it after your journey and getting in here in one piece.”

Pouring one for herself as well, the dwarf spread open a small map of the area that had clearly been torn from a much larger map of the overall continent and pinned down the curled edge with the decanter. ”I tailed my wormy little merchant friend to some old ruins north of here, about fifteen miles off the Imperial Highway.” She gestured to an unmarked space that hugged the southern edges of the Silent Plains and took a contemplative draw from her cup. ”Whatever they’re paying him it must be well worth the detour, because there isn’t shit out there. Which explains why they’ve lasted so long without us finding them. They’re very good. Unfortunately for them I’m better.”

Releasing the map to let it curl up against the whiskey bottle with a whisper, Yarden’s lips curved into a sinister little smile as she leaned back in the chair she claimed for herself. ”I tried to set a meeting with the merchant for tonight, but I was told he had other engagements, which I believe means he intends to meet with our slippery friends. So, Adrien, would you like to go Venatori hunting with me tonight?”
played by cherith
           
GRogue
A34
Aherald of andraste
P113 posts

permalinkQuote
The whiskey warmed her and thick, pleasant heat in her throat and belly. With the company it came with, Honor figured it for a nice welcome to the middle of nowhere. She leaned in to look over the maps Yarden had laid out on the table the tip of her hook resting on a fading, jagged edge. Listening to her scout, Honor nodded and followed the indication of her finger on the map.

"That's why you're the mistress and I'm the humble servant," Honor said with a smile. "Your patience is to be celebrated for one." She took a short appreciative draw from her whiskey on that and watched the map roll back up as Yarden released it. "Must be something interesting out there, something worth inhabiting a nice cozy spot of nothing in the wilderness." Even if it was just a nice little out of the way place for them Venatori to gather and continue to spread chaos and lies. Honor was tired of the whispers, the secrets and she had enough on her plate in finding Solas she didn't need to expect some kind of uprising from Nevarra in the process.

She chuckled at Yarden's invitation, lifting her glass up towards her. "Oh, I think I would. It sounds like they'll be something for everyone." She finished off her whiskey, letting the glass rest back on the table. Tapping the table with her hook as it slipped down her throat, Honor grinned.

She'd been on the road too long, listening for rumors and tracking down false leads, taking on the random job when she needed to in order to get in close with someone or make a few coins to get her out to her next safe house. The promise of hunting some Venatori gave her a little rush, a flutter in her chest that felt like taking on something valuable, something worthwhile. She had a purpose still, she knew that, but much of it was reaching for the ephemeral right now. Venatori were solid creatures she could cut and slice and bleed.

"Is there anything else to know about what we might expect to encounter? Do you have an idea how many we might find when we do?" She put her boots to the ground, sitting up a little straighter and stretching out her back as she did. "Anything we need to prepare?"
played by dinah
           
GRogue
A31
AThe Black Shadow
P10 posts

permalinkQuote
The whiskey did wonders to ease the knot of tension that had settled between her shoulder blades over the past few days. An ache to draw her bow and send an arrow flying into the skull of one of those ventatori vermin. Patience had never been one of her virtues, so the need for secrecy and to bide her time had weighed uncomfortably on her as she waited for reinforcements. Now that it was here and sitting oh so enticingly in front of her, that ache was turning into an itch. An itch which she could finally scratch.

"I wasn't able to see much from my vantage, but I would hazard to say there might be ten, fifteen at the most, in this particular sect. Our merchant only brings one captive at a time, so if it's blood magic they aren't needing too much." A slow roll of her shoulders and Yarden straightened as well, placing her cup on the table. "Besides that, nothing out of the ordinary. Jackals have been terrorizing the livestock more frequently lately and it's Nevarra so a dragon could swoop down on us any time. Nothing we can't handle."

A gusty sigh and the dwarf gained her feet. "I've got my flasks all brewed and ready to go, but lets take a look at what else we might need. Crossing the small room, Yarden kicked away the small area rug to reveal a cellar door. Pulling it open, she trotted down the steep steps into the darkness. Within seconds a soft orange glow crept up from the gaps in the floor and Yarden's voice called up. "Come on down and pursue my goods."

The goods she was referring to was more like a small armory lurking just beneath the nondescript hunter's hut. The Inquisition had left the cache behind after its disbandment and Yarden had painstakingly revived it. Two work benches rested against two adjacent walls, a cot for sleeping across from one and a full weapon rack across from the other. Honor would recognize the familiar set up of the potion crafting table the Inquisition had favored and Yarden had put it to good use. Flasks of potions and draughts lined the shelves above it and ingredients to make more were resting patiently to be used.

"Take what you need. If those daggers of yours need freshening up I have a whetstone over there." Not looking up from slipping frost and fire vials into the leather holster at her hip, she jerked her thumb to the weapons bench. "I also have an extra bow if you'd like. What's mine is yours, after all." A chuckle and Yarden craned her neck to grin at Honor, "We play our cards right and they might never know what hit them."
played by cherith
           
GRogue
A34
Aherald of andraste
P113 posts

permalinkQuote
Her arm itched around the leather straps holding her hook in place. She crossed her arms over her chest, pushing at the straps with her hand. She nodded as Yarden explained, trying to think of what she would need to restock when she'd used up on the way here. As Yarden opened the trapdoor, Honor stood and crossed the room, looking down. With a chuckle, she climbed down after the dwarven woman.

She would've made a different joke had she not been pleasantly overwhelmed by the sight of the stock Yarden had been keeping under the hut. She wasn't sure it had even been this well-stocked when the Inquisition had officially outfitted the place. "And my what goods they are," Honor said, browsing the shelves. There was enough down there to hold their own in a fight against a dragon, if they did it right, not just a potential handful of Venatori. "You certainly have been busy out here, Yarden."

For a moment, Honor felt a pang of regret for what had been. Before, she'd been able to move between Inquisition safehouse to stronghold regularly, with ease, and each place would've been nearly as well-stocked as this place currently was under Yarden's control. But now, she had no such luxuries. And she barely had a handful of people in the field she could drop in on if she needed to, let alone people who had pulled together such a cache. There was no way Yarden was getting nearly an equitable version of this deal as Honor was. Sure, Honor put all the coin she earned back into this venture, but the sight of this little safehouse was a reminder of what she was worth to that handful of people.

And it was definitely more than she deserved to be.

Honor cleared her throat and grabbed a flask of lightning off the shelf and stuck into a loop on her belt with a smile. She took a couple more and gave Yarden a wink as she crossed to the whet stone. "That's how I like to make it happen," she said over her shoulder. "They don't see us coming. And no one lives to tell the tale. Can't afford it. Not anymore." Honor didn't look back at the other woman to make sure she understood, she trusted that anyone still with her after all this time, knew the deal.

One at a time she lined her daggers up on the workbench. "My bow skills are a little rusty. It's not as easily as I'd like it to be to keep steady." She lifted her hook and twisted it. "But, these daggers have more than earned a little prettying up before we head out."
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by pippa exclusively for unbound.